clock July 14, 2014 comments No Comments flowchart Automobile InsuranceOur Blog tag Children

Rhode Island Insurance

teenager driving car

The short answer is “yes”!

If your teenager is recently licensed and is now itching to own his/her own vehicle, you are probably wondering if this is possible or if you need to register (and insure) the car in your name.  The state of Rhode Island allows minors (under the age of 18) to register vehicles in their name as long as they have proper proof of insurance pursuant to Rhode Island state law.

Your son or daughter needs to purchase a Rhode Island insurance policy in his/her name, and the insurance company will then issue a “Minor’s Filing”.  A “Minor’s Filing” is sent to the Department of Motor Vehicles to officially prove that the minor has a valid insurance policy.  Once the DMV receives the “Minor’s Filing”, the minor is then able to register the vehicle.  This process typically takes 5-7 business days, which means that your son or daughter needs to purchase the insurance policy first, allowing the 5-7 business days for the “Minor’s Filing” to get to the DMV before he/she will be able to register the vehicle.

If you have any other questions about your teenage driver, give us a call at (401) 723-8510  and we’ll be happy to help so you can have peace of mind when you hand over those keys!

Would you like us to review your insurance?


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *