clock September 2, 2013 comments No Comments flowchart Family & Home CareOur Blog tag Safety

Now that the fall weather is upon us, we are finding ourselves closing the windows to ward off the cooler air once the sun goes down. And what feels cozier on a cool autumn night than a fluffy blanket and some lit scented candles? With all the fall scents like cinnamon, pumpkin and falling leaves, your home could smell just like a fall festival in no time.

But when you use candles in your home, it is very important to be extra careful, especially if you have children or pets. Unattended candles can be tremendous fire hazards that could cause damage to your home quite quickly. If you choose to light candles in your home, be sure you follow these safety tips to prevent accidental fires or burns.

Never leave a lit candle unattended. Be sure it is within sight at all times. Trim the wick to within ¼ inch of the candle so that the flame is not too high when lit. Always put candles in proper heat resistant containers that are designed for candle use. Do not place candles near flammable objects like dried flowers, blankets, window shears, etc. Make sure there is proper ventilation. Do not burn the candle all the way to the bottom of the container as it could cause it to crack. Extinguish candles before their recommended burn time, before you go to bed, or before you leave the house.

For more candle safety tips, contact your homeowner’s insurance agent. He will be able to give you statistics on home fires due to candle use and offer some alternative suggestions to make your home feel cozier this fall. And remember that using candles to brighten up your home can be great as long as you remember safety right along with it. Enjoy fall in your home this year!
*