clock November 13, 2018 comments No Comments flowchart Our BlogOur Community tag Charity Involvement

In October, we donated the funds raised during our casual Fridays to a client battling breast cancer as October was Breast Cancer Awareness month.

We raised $375, and the company matched it for a donation of $750, one of our largest contributions. Breast cancer is a very personal cause for Loiselle Insurance, since we have two breast cancer survivors on our staff, Elizabeth Pita and Ana Coelho.

Luckily, breast cancer incidence rates have fallen steadily since 2000. Some suggest this is partially due to the reduced use of hormone replacement therapy, but increased awareness, early detection, and a greater focus on prevention are definite factors.

PinkAUnfortunately, almost 41,000 U.S. women still perish from breast cancer annually. African-American women under 45 years are at greatest risk of deadly breast cancer. However, fatalities are also declining. Nonetheless, even one loss is too many. We still have much to do if we’re to eradicate the disease.

Almost 30% percent of all newly diagnosed cancer is some form of breast cancer. It’s the second most common diagnosis in women, after skin cancer.

According to the American Cancer Society, about 1 in 8 U.S. women develop invasive breast cancer over the course of their lifetime. They estimate over 266,000 new cases annually, plus about 64,000 of non-invasive cases. As of 2018, over 3.1 million U.S. women were in or finished treatment.

Invasive breast cancer isn’t limited to females either. Doctors diagnose over 2,500 cases in men annually. Even though their odds are only around 1 in 1,000, it is still life-changing for the patient.

Regardless of the cause, breast cancer is treatable and most patients survive and live a healthy and productive life.

Nonetheless, many forms of breast cancer exist, so it’s a long, expensive process which demands continual funding. Researchers continually look for new, vital information and ways to combat all forms of the disease.

Unless you or someone you know has breast cancer or had it in the past, it’s probably not something you think about too often. However, the American Cancer Society receives 99% of their funding from people like you, special events, personal and corporate gifts, bequests, and other efforts. Your donation is always welcome.

Almost 75% of money donated goes towards program services such as cancer research, patient support, prevention, information and education, and detection and treatment. The remaining 25% goes towards administration and fundraising expenses.

You can make a one-time or monthly contribution, donate to honor a loved one, or through a Donor Advised Fund. The American Cancer Society also partners with many groups so you donate a vehicle, contribute securities, or ask your employer to match your donation. Amazon Smile, eBay, and iTunes also offer programs to donate a portion of your normal purchases to this worthwhile charity.

If you would like to continue the fight against breast cancer, you can find all the information you need on Cancer.gov. Let’s end the battle against cancer once and for all.

review-insurance

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *