April showers have rolled out, May flowers have bloomed! Summer is finally here! (YIPPIE!) It’s been a very long winter and we cannot wait to break out the flip-flops, bathing suits and stuff our faces with hamburgers, hot dogs and clam cakes!! We wanted to point out some safety tips to make sure you enjoy your Memorial Day weekend to the fullest, and keep you and your family safe.
– Make sure you check your auto insurance. Yes I know, boring safety tip; we are, after all an insurance agency 😉 If you are planning a trip, make sure you have your insurance card. If you don’t have one, contact us and we can print one quickly! It’s important to understand the consequences if you are pulled over without insurance. Make sure your policy is paid to date and your coverage is all that you need it to be.
– This might seem obvious, but make sure you don’t drink and drive. Many people will be attending late night parties and it’s very important to sober up before you decide to get behind the wheel. You can also appoint a designated “non-drinking” driver before heading out to ensure this individual doesn’t consume alcohol. If you are hosting a party, be conscious of your guests over drinking. Your homeowners insurance provides liability coverage if anyone should get hurt and you’re found liable. Better to be safe then sorry though!
– According to the National Fire Protection Association, gas grills are the main cause of 7,200 home fires annually. Location is key! Make sure you check your grill’s manual to adhere to minimum distance requirements around your unit that must be free of clutter. Gas grills produce a great deal of heat and it’s important to inspect your grill for problems. Also, when you’re finished cooking those burgers and hot dogs, make sure your grill is shut off and cooled down before you cover it! If you want to know what your homeowners policy covers in the event of a fire, call your friendly agent at Loiselle Insurance and we would be happy to review your policy with you.
– “Buckle up for Love!” It’s not worth receiving a ticket for not wearing your seatbelt. All it takes is one slight motion of your arm to hear that clicking noise. Buckling your seat belt can be the difference between life and death. If you love the passengers you’re with, make sure they are buckled as well.
– You may enjoy eating lobster this weekend, but you don’t want to look like one! Nothing is worse then looking like a lobster and everyone asking, “what happened to you this weekend!?” No one likes a sun burn! The key to safe sun exposure is applying sunscreen, reapplying it often, wearing a hat, and staying under an umbrella. The recommendation for a child is at least SPF 25. According to the Skin Cancer Foundation, one in five Americans will develop skin cancer in the course of a lifetime. We don’t want you to be part of a statistic, so please take the proper safety precautions to protect your beautiful skin.
– If you plan to spend the summer days sailing the ocean blue, or enjoying the beautiful beaches in Rhode Island, make sure you have the proper amount of life jackets and that they function properly. Like the open road, make sure you keep an eye out for oncoming traffic and avoid all other objects. At the beach be sure to follow all life guard rules, keep your eyes and ears open for anyone looking for help, and beware of rip tides.
Loiselle Insurance Agency would like to thank all the men and women in our Armed Forces who have sacrificed their lives today and everyday! We wish you all a happy and safe Memorial Day Weekend! 🙂