Now that warmer weather is upon us, everyone will be spending more time outside. Who doesn’t like sitting around a bonfire, roasting marshmallow’s and having a few drinks with friends and family? Before you spark up your first kindling pile of the season, here are a few safety reminders for you:
- Check the area where you will be having your fire. Clear out any flammable items that could easily catch fire from a thrown spark. For instance, if you think placing a fire pit next to your grill is a good idea, think again!
- If you are using a portable fire pit, make sure it is sturdy and will be able to hold all the kindling you will be placing inside.
- Check for any flaws in your permanent structure. Just like houses, brick or concrete fire pits can shift when they settle over time. Make sure your fire will be properly contained and be sure to check it periodically just to make sure.
- Check with your local weather authorities to find out whether or not having a fire is a good idea. If serious wind is in the forecast, you might want to wait a day or two to have your fire.
- Keep an extinguisher, a bucket of water, or hose close by in case of emergency.
- Make sure everyone has respect for the fire. Insist that children stay as far from the fire as possible while still enjoying it.
- Use a screen to help keep large sparks from floating off.
- Make sure the fire is completely out before you decide to go to bed.
Having a fire can be a great way to relax and spend time enjoying the outdoors. Just be sure you do it safely so that nothing is damaged and no one gets hurt. Call Loiselle Insurance Agency at (401) 723-8510 to discuss your homeowners policy to make sure you have the proper coverage should a spark fly and cause damage to your property. Otherwise, enjoy those s’mores and your fire pit!